Monday, September 13, 2010

The Long Toss

Ever since I have played frisbee (ultimate), I have always thought I was good with the short pass or making the long catch.  For some reason though, I have never been good at the long toss.  Game after game, year after year I would try at least once to launch the disc for massive yardage and unfortunately lose control or possession.  Not exactly what your team wants to see if you're captain, so I would shy away from the hail mary and would rely more on speed and good hands.

However, this past weekend I made a break through (and I was quite excited).  People have always told me "it's all in your wrist" or "big throws come from your core."  In essence, both of these suggestions are correct and go well together for a pretty decent pull, but I think I found the secret.  In all sports you are told to bend your knees, stay low, lower your center of gravity, etc.  and why wouldn't this apply to the game of ultimate?  I decided to give this a shot on the opening pull.  As soon as I crouched down, twisted by upper body, and snapped my wrist, Voila!  Instant improvement in my throwing game.  The unintentional hook (although I can intentionally do so) was gone and just a smoothing sailing UFO-like disc remained traversing the clear Saturday skies.  Brilliant!

To sum it up, the moral of the story is bend your knees and like the Yin Yang Twins say "Get Low."

No comments:

Post a Comment